....1851 Census Upper Marsh Lambeth
The 1851 census records William and Elizabeth Harris living at Upper Marsh Lambeth. William is shown as a stone mason aged 56. Their remaining unmarried children Charles and Eliza are still living with them.
The map (left) dates from 1872 when the area had been developed. The engraved view of the Canterbury Arms Upper Marsh dates from the early 19th century. The Harris's lived at number 37 which was very close to the Canterbury Arms (coloured blue). This pub had expanded into The Canterbury Music Hall by the 1860's.
The entire area was redeveloped after WW 2. The present day photo is looking eastwards down Upper Marsh. The railway runs into Waterloo on the left. The Canterbury PH stood where the Cars are parked.