...........A Short History of the Fairsea
The vessel was originally named Rio de la Plata and launched
in 1941 for the Moore-McCormick shipping line in the USA. During WW2 the
ship saw active service in both the US Navy as USS Charger, and the Royal
Navy as HMS Charger. Alterations to the upper superstructure enabled the
ship to be converted into a basic aircraft carrier.
In 1949 the ship was bought by the Alvion Steamship Corporation
and renamed Fairsea. She was then rebuilt as a passenger ship with a
capacity of 1800 people. In 1955 Fairsea was chartered to carry British
Migrants. She left Southampton bound for Australia for the first time
in December 1955 and contined in this role for next 18 months.
Over the next five years the ship was refitted twice which upgraded the
rather austere accommodation. In 1969 an engine room fire damaged the
vessel. It was considered uneconomical to repair and the Fairsea was
sold to ship breakers in Italy.
...................Home | George's