George Aitchison marries Ellen Denny St James Westminster
By 1847 George Aitchison's Pianoforte Business had moved to Harris Place in Oxford Street. In October he married Ellen Denny who lived in nearby Poland Street. Her parents, Cornelius & Bridget Denny were coach fitters and upholsterers. One of the witnesses on the above certificate is Georges sister Jessy who was then aged 17.
Harris Place was located off Oxford Street behind number 363 and accessed through an archway. The illustration of this section of Oxford Street from the Junction with Poland Street to the Pantheon Bazaar dates from 1838. The map below shows the same area in 1870.
An early engraving of St Jame's Church is also shown below.
Home | Geoge's Story